Thursday, May 17, 2007

Painting All Day: May17, 2007

Well, I didn't do a "Painting a Day" although I painted all day.
I helped paint the background image for a mural in a local park. The Stevensville Art & Sculpture Society (S.A.S.S.) is helping a K-6th grade art teacher here with this project. This is the restroom building at the park. It began as a rundown looking white building. We cleaned and primed the building on two other separate days. Today we painted a sky, mountain and grass scene on which 5th and 6th graders will paint Salish games scenes.
Last year, 3rd graders had the opportunity to learn some traditional Salish games in this very same park. Upon returning to school, they translated what they learned into pieces of drawn and painted art. The teacher will combine their drawings and sketch them out on the newly painted building for the older kids to paint. Six of us worked on this building from 10:00am until 3:30pm.
Once I got my son home, I helped him on his school project - a castle. We finished up the paint job tonight since it is due tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this mural! The building almost disappears into the landscape. Really nice addition to your park.