Saturday, July 25, 2009

Dying continued: July 24-25, 2009

These silk scarves are almost finished. All that is left is to take them to the dry cleaner to remove the gutta resist. If I do more dying in the future, I think I will try other types of resist that don't require dry cleaning to remove them.

After the gutta dried overnight, I applied a couple layers of dyes. I scrunched up the fabrics, dabbed the fabrics into dye and sprayed with a water bottle to distribute the colors. Using two complimentary shades and randomly distributing the colors gave the silk interest and visual texture.

Once the background was dried, I stretched the silk and painted leaves using the dyes and a brush. The gutta left negative leaf shapes and the painted dye made positive leaf shapes as you can see in the close-up photos.

No comments: