Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Plumeria: June 5, 9 & 13, 2011

This is a 7"x9" watercolor. My goal at the beginning was to create great depth to the "busy" scene. Usually when I paint a subject, I like to greatly simplify the area around it. This time, I wanted to leave in all the vegetation. In order to cut down on that busy-ness, I am painting the most distant parts of the plant with more diluted paint and as the objects become closer, I am adding more vibrant color and more detail. Right now it looks like a jumbled mess so I'm curious to see how it comes out when the flowers (the last and closest parts of the painting - the focus) go in.
These are two images of the painting in progess: the very beginning with the farthest vegetation and then one with closer leaves and branches with more detail.

No comments: