Thursday, May 14, 2009

Graduation Caps: May 13-14, 2009

I went on vacation to Florida for a couple of weeks and now I have quite a few paint jobs to catch up on. I took lots of reference photos that I hope to turn into paintings some time in the future.

My son is graduating high school in a couple of weeks. I painted his graduation cap using white and gold Golden fluid acrylic. The cap is black so wherever you see black, it is the fabric. No black paint was used. His school colors are gold and black, he is a soccer player whose jersey number is "8", and his mascot is the "Fighting Yellowjackets".

I began painting yesterday (the left photo). The first layer of white makes the balls look like a lunar surface. It took 3 coats of white and 2 coats of gold to cover the black fabric. The finished cap is on the right.

No comments: